SIN card

SIN Number

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs.

Children who are 12 years of age or older may apply for their own SIN.

Parents and legal guardians can also apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority of their province.

Each SIN is issued to one person only. It cannot legally be used by anyone else. You are responsible for protecting your SIN. Store your SIN card in a safe place. Don’t keep it with you.

For more information on how to protect your SIN, please see our publication, Your Social Insurance Number: A Shared Responsibility.

Be Sociable, Share!
Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply